Monday, February 1, 2010

travel chic.

For some reason, I'm obsessed with outfits to wear on airplanes.

I'm guessing this is because
[A] I love to travel,
[B] when I go on trips I carefully plan every detail of every outfit beforehand so I don't forget anything (literally! I make outfit spreadsheets before vacations. Which my family seems to find hilarious),
[C] because I almost never fly anywhere, my family is more the road trip type, so going on an airplane is still mildly a novelty for me,
and [D] because whenever I see pictures of what celebrities wear to the airport, I'm in awe that they can look that good while travelling.

In my mind, the ideal airplane outfit has the following elements:
[A] really comfortable pants because jeans get to be kind of painful if you're sitting still for hours
[B] a big purse to carry anything you need that won't fit in your carryon
[C] a cardigan or jacket in case it gets cold
[D] sunglasses and/or a hat to hide how gross you look from travelling and make you look more like a celebrity
[E] shoes with heels to make you look even more like a celebrity. Naturally. (Although obviously you could substitute flats or cute sneakers for the shoes in any of these outfits. If you're a wimp. :-P )
[F] a cute little vintage suitcase carryone, preferably Louis Vuitton, because their luggage is the only thing they make that I like. (Hey. I can dream, right?)


Although I'm wary of jeans leggings (jeggings? ew, what an ugly word), I must admit the idea appeals to me when I want stretchier, softer pants for flying. This outfit would work for flying in slightly colder weather, with all the cozy knits. I also like adding aviator sunglasses because clearly they wouldn't call them aviators if you shouldn't wear them on an airplane. I mean really.


I must admit I made this set just for fun, not specifically as a travel outfit, but the relaxed tee, shorts, and fedora make a nice summery outfit, while the ankle boots and cardigan keep you from freezing while on the plane.


I know a lot of people hate harem pants, but I've gotta say they look really comfy for travelling, plus if you get them at a just-below-knee length they're not so overwhelmingly poofy and arabian-nights-esque. The sandals and fedora here make it a good outfit for arriving somewhere breezy and summery, and the bag is big enough to stuff the cardigan and a bunch of other random travel essentials (read: probably non-essentials) into.


Another example of harem pants, shown with excessive studded accessories which look cool in the set but I'd advise you to ignore for actual travel purposes.

I'd love to hear your thoughts - what do you wear on planes?

7 comments:

  1. I'm actaully your 3rd follower, I just follow you anonymously : )
    keep up the good work gyal,
    lots of love,
    ea

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that your collages have color themes ...

    i have the worst travel style .. i think because i always wait til the last minute to pack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love to travel too! and going to the airport excites me! something about the busyness of it all...and the anticipation of what lies ahead. like you, i meticulously plan out all my outfits before i go on board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing clothing sets. they are oh so sweet for traveling. how pretty! .x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. I make detailed lists that are separated by clothing/accessory/toiletry type (and broke down into sub-lists) and which I check off as I pack. I start planning what outfit I'll wear days (usually at least a week or more:) in advance and repack several times a) to make my bag smaller and b) because I can't decide what I want to bring.

    Dressing for the day is all sorts of layering because you're right, you want to be comfy and warm and stylish. I love flying too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely outfits! I am pretty casual when I travel, but trying to get better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make the best collages. Love 'em all!

    ReplyDelete